Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Giving Thanks on My Happy 1st Birthday

Thanksgiving Day: 11/27/14 – Today I am joyfully celebrating my 1 year birthday and there could be no better day for this to land on than Thanksgiving. One year ago I had my stem cell transplant and it is simply amazing how so much has changed since then. I am healthy, feeling strong and living life as if I was never sick a day in my life. Last year I spent Thanksgiving in the Hospital… this year I will be celebrating this wonderful double holiday with my family.

To date, all my scans are clear and I am down to only taking 3 medications (valacyclovir, pencicillin and sulfameth).  On December 4th I will have a bone density test, a pulmonary test and I will be given a number of vaccination shots. This should take me from an infant’s immune system to one of a big boy.  

My adventures with mantle cell lymphoma has been one heck of a ride. It has taken me many places… it has introduced me to many fantastic people… it has provided me many new experiences… it has taught me about keeping things in perspective… and it has greatly increased my faith and love of God. I truly have so much to be thankful for. Certainly every day is a blessing.

On this Thanksgiving Day I am thankful for my health, thankful for the support and love of my friends and family, thankful for my talented and compassionate medical team, and… believe it or not, I am thankful for the journey. This adventure has had profound impact on me and all those around me.

Going forward there is only one thing I know for sure… it is that I have no idea where life goes from here. With that said it is important that we take life one day at a time and we make the most of every moment.  

May your lives be full of faith, hope, happiness, love and good health.

Happy Thanksgiving!

“With the loving mercy of our God, a new day from heaven will dawn upon us. It will shine on those who live in darkness, in the shadow of death. It will guide us into the path of peace."
Luke 1:78-79

More to come…


8 comments:

Alan said...

Good news Rich, congratulations and I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Rich Franco said...

Thanks Alan, I hope all is well with you and your family. Here's to looking forward to a Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy New Year

Unknown said...

Rich, it is great to read this update. Happy Thanksgiving/ Birthday,! Your blog has been encouragement for me. I am day +73. I am doing unbelievably well. I am glad I made the tough decision to proceed with the transplant and reading your blog helped me to do that. Your blessing has reached far beyond your imagination. Yes, I too, am thankful for my journey. Live life, love God!

Rich Franco said...

Hi Janet, it is so great to hear how well you are doing. Thank you for all your very kind words. Your positive attitude will certainly lead to your continued success. God is Great!!! God is Good!!!

Pam Rothenberger said...

Your story is an inspiration. You are truly blessed! My dad was just diagnosed on Monday :-( we are still in shock. They are still doing tests and have not even discussed prognosis or options. I do know that my grandmother (his mother) also had MCL and that 85% of cases are hereditary. I am scared for myself and my son. You story shows hope. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Rich Franco said...

Hi Pam,
I am so very sorry to hear about your father. It is certainly a shock to get such a diagnosis. You can get comfort in the fact that medical advancements have gotten to the point where there is plenty of hope for all of us with MCL. I will keep your dad in my prayers. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Rich

Unknown said...

Hello Rich
I have followed your blog for quite a long time. I am so glad your have done so well and feel like a new person. One of my selfish reasons to follow your blog has to do with my wife. Your story provides hope.

In March 2011, she was diagnosed with MCL. She went thru R-CHOP treatment followed by an AUTO SCT in September 2011.

She has been in remission until now. There appears to be lymph nodes that are active. The biopsy is scheduled for next week. If positive she will go on chemo treatment with Rituxin and Bendamustine. The oncologist suggested that once in remission, we need to seriously consider an ALLO SCT.

I know you have had a difficult road but now there is so much joy to look forwarded in your life.

Thank you for sharing your story.
Charlie A.

Rich Franco said...

Hey Charlie A,
I am so sorry to hear that your wife has active lymph nodes. Of course you will not know what is going on until the biopsy results have been returned to you. If this ends up being a relapse of MCL, I truly wish there was something I could say that will make it easier for you. Certainly it is very important that you and your wife keep positive, have faith and trust in God (and your doctors) and that you are there for her as she embarks on a new journey. The process of an ALLO SCT is a long but very passable road and I just know that if I could get through this that you two can certainly do this too.
An ALLO SCT is one of those things that enhances my faith with mankind. People taking time to donate their stem cells to help a complete stranger is such an act of complete selflessness. Although I have no idea who my donor is, this is a person whom I am forever in debt to.
I am not sure who your doctors are for this but if you are looking for a second opinion my doctors are located at the John Theurer Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center. The address is: 92 Second Street, Hackensack, New Jersey 07601 and the phone number is: 551-996-5900

My Hematologist/Oncologist is: Andre Goy, M.D. Chairman and Executive Administrative, Director, John Theurer Cancer Center, Division Chief, Lymphoma. I just love this guy and I have complete trust in anything he says to me.

My Transplant doctors are:
Scott Rowley, M.D., Chief, Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplantation Program and
Michele L. Donato, M.D., Medical Director, Blood and Marrow Collection Facility

Both Dr. Rowley and Dr. Donato and their team have been awesome. They continue to make my road to recovery a smooth one. Other than a monthly check up, period scans and taking some pills I am leading a very normal life… and in time it will be the same for your wife.

I will keep the two of you in my prayers.

Peace,

Rich