Monday, April 27, 2015

First Day of Treatments… Take 3

4/27/15 – I started with my first treatment of my first cycle today and all went well. It was a long day. My wife and I left the house at 8:30AM and arrived home about 8:00PM. I received rituximab followed by cytarabine, two medicines I have received in the past.

In going through treatments it is typically the “unknown” that makes things a little scary. With me being a veteran of chemotherapy since 2008, it is the “known” that makes things a little scary. Certainly, my history of infections is the elephant in the room (a problem that everyone knows is there but no one wants to acknowledge). I guess no one wants to jinx me... I guess that is a good thing. 

The rest of my week has two more days of treatments on Tuesday and Wednesday. On Thursday I need to return for an injection of Neulasta, This will help reduce the risk of infection by boosting my white blood cell count to strengthen my immune system. For some reason my neutrophil was low today. It was at 1.2. For it to be normal it must fall between 2.5 and 7.0.

All and all this was a good day and a great way to start my treatment of MCL (for the 3rd time). I am looking for the momentum of this positive day carry through the rest of the week.

A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Proverbs 17:22

More to come…


http://mantlecell.blogspot.com/

No comments: