Wednesday, April 29, 2015

One Treatment Cycle Down – So far so good

4/29/15 – I have made it through my first treatments and so far so good. I will say that I feel a little tired but for the most part all is going as well as it could be. When I hit about 10 days after treatments it is predicted that my white blood cell count (WBC) will drop a bit. That seems to be what I recall happening in the past. In going through cancer treatments it is typically the “unknown” that makes things a little scary. With me being a “veteran” of chemotherapy since 2008, it is the “known” that makes things a little scary. Certainly, my history of infections is the elephant in the room (a problem that everyone knows is there but no one wants to acknowledge). 

My next set of appointments are as follows:
  • Tomorrow I need to return for an injection of Neulasta, This will help reduce the risk of infection by boosting my white blood cell count to strengthen my immune system. For some reason my neutrophil has been low. It was at 1.2. For it to be normal it must fall between 2.5 and 7.0.
  • May 7th I have a follow up with Dr. Goy
  • May 26th through May 28th I am scheduled for my 2nd treatment cycle

 I can’t say it enough how important it is for me to stay positive and to be driven by Faith, Hope, Love and Prayer. I truly believe that my good attitude and approach to my treatments is something that has been contagious with my chemotherapy comrades who share the same infusion room with me. Socializing, sharing our stories and providing encouragement to each other is extremely powerful to the healing process for all of us.

All and all this was a great way to start my treatment of MCL. I am looking for the momentum of this positive week to carry through to a successful outcome.

Here is a YouTube link to a great song that has been helping me greatly. I listen to it, play it on my guitar and I have even sung it in church. Give it a listen, I hope you get the same inspiration that I get from it. It is called “One thing Remains”. Enjoy!

A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Proverbs 17:22

More to come…

http://mantlecell.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Rich! Thanks for reminding me about this blog ... I just read all of your recent posts, and while there are many things I admire about you - I especially like what you said about how important it is "for me to stay positive and to be driven by Faith, Hope, Love and Prayer" ... I couldn't agree more, and I am so glad your life is filled with Faith and all these wonderful things! I will continue to keep all of you in my prayers.

I will be thinking of you 'dancing with bells on' this weekend while you're at your Goddaughter's wedding because I (we) will be at David Boehm's wedding that day also ... I will dance (maybe with bells on also?? LOL) right along with you! Have a fantastic weekend! Hugs to you, Sue, and the girls ... XO

Rich Franco said...

Thanks Janet. Great point. "Focus on the wonderful". I love it. Enjoy David's wedding and say hi to everyone.

John O'B said...

Rich,

Thanks on the mail and reminder about the blog. I just caught up on some of your recent posts, and even went back a bit to the SCT...

I read your comments on the known/unknown, and I can remember putting a note in my calendar 7 days out from hospital release on B cycles, as once I knew what was going to happen, I was much more 'content'. Same with blood counts, once I knew the trend, and what to expect, I felt prepared, and therefore felt better - and I agree that attitude helps!

Keep up the good work, and we'll be following you and praying for you.

Best,
John

Anonymous said...

Rich,
Hang in there, you can beat this. Ill be seeing Dr Goy in about a month for a 6 month checkup as well.

Eric Schott

Rich Franco said...

John O'B, Thanks for the encouragement. I will always be thankful for your blog. It truly provided my my family with peace of mind when I was originally diagnosed back in 2008.
Rich

Rich Franco said...

Hey Eric, Best wishes for your 6 month visit with Dr. Goy.
Rich

Charles Anzalone said...

Rich
I am very sorry to read that your MCL is back. If you recall, I wrote you back in March of this year when my wife's MCL returned. She had her auto SCT in September of 2011.

We live in NC. Her local oncologist started her on 4 week cycles of Rituxin and Bendamustine (Treanda). The B is given two days in row. She just had her second cycle two weeks ago. Her CBC are good but she is very fatigued. She will have a PET scan on the 15th. We should have a better idea on the progress at that time.

We have been to Duke to discuss an allo SCT. The same doctor who did the auto. He was very negative. For almost 45 minutes, he discuss the risks (death, other cancers developing, host vs graft, etc.). He indicated that on a on the five year term, it was a 50-50 chance of curing MCL. He promoted the idea of maintenance. But he agreed to cautiously move and test her siblings and the donor base to see if there is an ideal match.

So the dilemnia is the local oncologist is promoting the allo and the Duke stem cell doctor is promoting maintenance drugs. We trust both doctors. Also, the local oncologist is leaving NC for Denver.

I had not been to your site since March and again am very sorry to read your news.

Rich Franco said...

Hi Charles,
Maintenance vs. SCT is a tough decision. With maintenance, the hope is that there will always be medical advancements that will keep you ahead of the MCL. I have heard of some people doing well with this. With the Allo SCT, there are certainly risks and they have to make you aware of them. They did the same to me. I know everyone’s reaction to a SCT is different but with me I never encountered any of the risks. It was a pretty smooth process for me… or so I thought. The problem with me is it was too smooth. Graft vs. Host Disease can be a really bad thing if it hits you too hard. With me, it didn't hit me at all and you need a little bit of it to have your new immune system to be able to completely take charge and to fight things like MCL. But, please do not let my SCT experience be a discouragement to you and your wife. I have seen other people do very well with it. Also, a 50:50 chance of a cure sounds pretty good to me. Maybe a question you can ask is: if your wife has the Allo SCT and if her MCL still comes back, what would be her next options? Is maintenance still an option at that point?
Another thing you may consider is speaking with another doctor. Sometimes a 2nd opinion helps make hard decisions easier. If you and your wife wanted to speak with the doctors I have been dealing with: My oncologist is Andre Goy and my transplant doctors are Dr. Scott Rowley and Dr. Michele Donato. The main number for all of them is: (551) 996-5900.
Please pass on to your wife that I am keeping her in my prayers.
Rich

Janet Kohler said...

Rich, I just signed onto your blog to catch up. I am so sorry to hear of your relapse. I will definitely be praying for round 3 in this knock out fight that you will win. I was blessed with mild, extensive GVHD. It has not been a big deal and I will pray that you get that beneficial amount.

To offer encouragement, my friend fighting multiple myeloma relapsed after his allo. He recently received a large DLI AND HAS DEVELOPED HIS GVHD. Stay positive, cling to our faith and believe. God is ever faithful. You remain in my prayers.
Janet Kohler

Rich Franco said...

Hey Janet, Thank you for the prayers and encouragement. It is so great to hear how the DLI helped your friend. Rich