Friday, July 17, 2015

Happy 7 Year Anniversary

7/17/15 – Today marks 7 years since I was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma. As strange as it may seem, this is a day when I feel the need to celebrate.

When I think back to July 17, 2008, the day I was diagnosed… as I sat in a waiting room, waiting to speak to an oncologist at Morristown Hospital, I am using my Blackberry to Google Mantle Cell Lymphoma. I read many grim post and articles. Everything on the internet was telling me that my time was short, I had maybe 2 to 3 years at best and that Mantle Cell Lymphoma was truly a death sentence… At the same time I am hiding what I am doing and reading from my wife. I put on a brave face, I make it known that this is no big deal, that I will be fine, and that we have nothing to worry about… Within my personal thoughts I was trying to process just what was happening to me.

If you take that moment back in 2008… and then see that 7 years have passed, why would you not want to celebrate? Although I have had my ups and downs over the 7 years, I have had many awesome times. Times and events I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world. And in a week from today I will be at my daughter Jill’s wedding. This is certainly not something that seemed feasible as I sat in a Morristown waiting room back in 2008.

Sure I still have some work ahead me to get back to full health, but I will fight, I will get healthy and I will be here to celebrate many more July 17th Anniversaries.

Also, there are so many people to thank for all the support I have gotten over the years. To all, and you know who you are, please accept my sincere THANKS for all you do for me and my family. And for my family, you are the reason I fight on. I love you so much.

To my fellow cancer fighters… Cancer research and treatment has incredible advancements every day. We can never give up because we just never know what great advancement each new day brings.

Stay STRONG, Be POSITIVE and may the Peace of Christ be with you always.

Here is a great song about being strong. It’s called: “You Gotta Be” by Des'ree
Enjoy!

The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him. The Lord is the strength of his people; he is the saving refuge of his anointed.
Psalm 28:7-8

More to come…


6 comments:

Bruce said...

I've just be diagnosed with MCL. Had my first chemo a week ago. I'm looking at 6 cycles of chemo. R chop alternating with r Dhap
With stem cell harvesting and re transplant. Absolutely terrified. I'm only 49 with two kids aged 17 and 19. Will follow your blog
While fighting this cancer.

Rich Franco said...

Hey Bruce,
I am so sorry to hear about your MCL diagnosis. It is OK we be terrified. Anyone who says they are not terrified is lying to you. Especially in the days soon after first getting the news from your doctors. Over time you will get to the point where the terrifying feeling will subside and your focus will be on what you have to do to get better.

When I was first diagnosed I was 47 with two daughters at who were at the ages of 18 and 15. It sure seems we have much in common. What we won’t have in common is the many bumps in the road I have had. In my 7 years of fighting MCL I have met many others with the disease. Most have fared far better than me with it come to setbacks. Saying this, I am still here and plan on being here for a very long time. I often describe my journey with MCL as a bumpy but passable road. Also, please do not let any of the negative things you read discourage you. Treatments have come a very long way and I and confident you will do great.

You had mentioned that you will have six treatments with the first one done already. I ask you to fast forward life a bit and picture how things will be when you have completed all 6 treatments. You will be fine, strong and back to life as normal. One story I love to share is that less than a year after I had my first set of treatments I was in Disney World with my daughter as a chaperon for her Cheerleading Team at Nationals. We had a blast. You too will have the opportunity to get back to enjoying the cool things in life with your family.

Please KEEP POSITIVE and do not let setbacks get you down. It best to stay even with you emotions. Don’t get too up and don’t get too down. This will help a great deal in avoiding disappointments. Another story I will share is that after my first treatment I played tennis with my daughter. I was so excited and convinced myself that these treatments were nothing. Later that same day I ran a fever and ended up in the hospital. The moral of the story is to live in the moment… enjoy yourself when you are feeling well… take care of yourself when you are not feeling well… but no matter what, always know that you will be OK.

I will keep you in my prayers.
Rich

Anonymous said...

Praying for you as we continue the fight. So happy you will be celebrating your daughters marriage. These times truly are a blessing. You are and have been encouragement for me and many others.

Janet Kohler

Rich Franco said...

Hi Janet,
Thank you so much for you kind words and your continued thoughts and prayers. I think we all provide encourage to each other. I certainly appreciate the encouragement I get from you. And yes it is a blessing to be able to share and participate if life’s wonderful events.
Being I am on an extended break from treatments, I am feeling like myself. I am surely looking forward to next week when I can do my part as the father of the bride with enthusiasm and energy.
Thanks again for your support,
Rich

Unknown said...

God Bless Rich! You have used these seven years well- Inspiring many! So exciting that Jill is getting married- A father-daughter dance to cherish! Love and best wishes for many more years. Cathy

Rich Franco said...

Hi Cathy,
It is so great to hear from you and thank you for your kind words. It will be so great to share Jill’s big day. We were all worried whether I would be OK for the wedding but it sure looks like I will make it. On top of that I plan to walk her down the aisle, dance with her during the traditional father-daughter dance, toast the bride and groom and give the blessing before the meal. Of course I will do my best to twist the night away. The craziest part of this whole thing is that I actually have a daughter who is old enough to get married. I am way too young for that.
Thanks again for your support,
Rich