Thursday, August 20, 2015

Crossing the line into GVHD (Graft vs Host Disease)

8/20/15 – Looking at the events of the past week for me it shows just how crazy a ride this adventure could be. With my last post I had mentioned that I have managed to avoid any hospital stays… well that has changed.
On Wednesday, August 12th I was in the ER with fevers in the 102 range. I was given the normal work up, where they took blood cultures etc… I was given an antibiotic and after a few hours my temp was gone, my blood counts were normal and initial blood cultures were clear… so I was sent home.

I had a follow up appointment at the Cancer Center on the following day; I was given a CT scan and was told that they show GREAT improvement of my MCL. But there was nothing that caused concern of the fevers.

On the morning of Friday, August 14th I was again running a fever and headed over to the Cancer Center. We reviewed all my tests. Being there were no signs of infection with my blood cultures,  it was decided that this was most likely something viral. If fevers did return I should take Tylenol. Any Virus will simply run its course.

Well... it is just never that easy.

On Saturday, August 15th at around 10PM I had a fever of 104.3. Knowing full well that this is more than viral… I ended up in the ER again. The ER drew blood, put me on antibiotics, and gave me Tylenol. I was eventually admitted into the hospital by the morning of Sunday, August 16th.

While in the hospital my fevers were treated with antibiotics, Tylenol and cooling techniques (chilling blanket and being packed in ice) but it seems that each day I still hit a fever of over 102.5.  

If you think about it… the Tylenol and cooling techniques simply mask what is really going on. In my case I was being given antibiotics that we not working… could it be that I was being treated for the wrong thing???

Each day I was visited by my doctors from Oncology, Infectious Disease and Transplant. I would get my normal checkup along with some very similar questions:
Do you have a rash?
Do you have diarrhea?
Is your mouth dry?
Are you experiencing any indigestion?

It was as if someone from above wanted to give assistance in solving this mystery, on Wednesday, August 19th all of a sudden I had a rash on my arms and legs, I had dry mouth, I had diarrhea and I was starting to feel some indigestion.

It was now clear to my doctors that I had Graft vs Host Disease. By adding steroids to my IV regiment my fevers were soon gone. If all goes well I may be released as soon as tomorrow. That would make me very happy. I am ready to go home.

I would be completely negligent if I didn't say THANK YOU to my wife who has been by my side every second of this most recent episode. I am a very lucky man to have someone who loves me so much. I truly love my wife of almost 31 years.
.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
Matthew 7:7

More to come…

4 comments:

Joanne Ploch said...


"One night I had a dream...

I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord, and Across the sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand; One belonged to me, and the other to the Lord. When the last scene of my life flashed before us, I looked back at the footprints in the sand. I noticed that many times along the path of my life, There was only one set of footprints.

I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in my life This really bothered me, and I questioned the Lord about it. "Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you, You would walk with me all the way; But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, There is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why in times when I needed you the most, you should leave me.

The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child. I love you, and I would never, never leave you during your times of trial and suffering. When you saw only one set of footprints, It was then that I carried you."

Sometimes it is our family and friends that we lean on along life's journey as well my friend. Another one of God's gifts.
Joanne

Rich Franco said...

Hey Joanne, Truly a beautiful reminder of how Christ is always there for us and yes, often the face of Christ is revealed in those close to us. Thank you for all your support and for being a good friend.
Rich

Unknown said...

Hello Rich
We just attended the allo sct class at Duke last week. We were told that having the temperature spikes followed by some GvHD is a good thing. It is a demonstration that the allo sct is being effective. We pray that the resulting T-cells created will eliminate the lymphoma cells.

Also, we have contacted Dr. Goy office to do a second opinion consult since our insurance will not cover her transplant.

Rich Franco said...

Hi Charles,
That is great that you went to an allo sct class. Those can be very informative. You are correct, it is an excellent sign that I am showing signs of GVHD. I think it took a little longer to relate the fevers to GVHD because there appeared a sooner than expected after my DLI (allo sct booster).
I think it is fantastic to be getting a second opinion from the John Theurer Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center. The primary doctors from Transplant are Dr. Rowley and Dr. Donato. Both are awesome.
Thanks for the information and best of luck contacting Dr. Goy and team. Please feel free to use me as a reference.
Rich