Sunday, November 27, 2016

3 Years Since My SCT... and YES, I Would Do It Again

11/27/16 – Today marks 3 years since my stem cell transplant. Among us SCT recipients we consider this our new birthday and it is something that should be celebrated. But more important… and a question that I often get asked… Do I think my SCT was worth the time and effort… if I think it actually worked?

True, I did have a relapse afterwards. And yes, I had to have chemo in 2015 to address my relapse… But there is one thing that jumps out at me about my SCT that makes we think it was a huge success…

After my chemotherapy treatments were complete I still had signs of Mantle Cell Lymphoma. My chemo was followed up with a DLI (Donor lymphocyte infusion). The goal was to booster my immune system… to help kick it into gear where it could better fight my health woes.

With my first scan after the DLI it was found that I was in remission… this was without additional chemo… Just the work of my immune system. So, could this be because my new immune system was working? Could this be because my SCT was a success?
I am no doctor and I am by no means a medical expert but I truly believe that my current remission is due to the success of my SCT. So… YES, I do think my SCT worked and was worth the time and effort.

Recently I learned that tests show that I am still 100% of my donor. Here I am 3 years into my SCT and it is still working. Today is truly a day to celebrate for me and my family.

Today also marks the first day of Advent. This is a time that we not only prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ but it is also a time when we prepare for him to come again.

Here is a great song to help us kick off Advent. It’s called “O Come O Come Emmanuel” and it is by Matt Maher
Enjoy!!!

Therefore, stay awake! For you do not know on which day your Lord will come.
Be sure of this: if the master of the house had known the hour of night when the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and not let his house be broken into.
So too, you also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come.
Matthew 24: 42-44


More to come…

http://mantlecell.blogspot.com/

No comments: