Monday, October 26, 2015

DLI Put On Hold

10/26/15 – Today I went to The John Theurer Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center for my DLI and believe it or not we were not able to go forward with it. I have had an eye irritation over the past week and apparently dry eye is a possible symptom of GVHD. Although it is not a strong enough reaction to know it is definitely GVHD, Dr. Rowley decided it would be best to wait and see what develops over the next week. I innocently asked “what’s the harm if I had the DLI even though there may be a GVHD response developing?” Dr. Rowley’s answer was extremely “eye” opening. He said “its like throwing gasoline on a fire.” All I can say is YIKES!!! I guess it is an excellent idea to wait and see if a rash or any other GVHD symptoms show up over the next week.

I was able to schedule an appointment with an Ophthalmologist. After a thorough eye examination is was found that I had a slight case of dry eye in addition an eye irritation. I was prescribed an eye salve that should address the irritation and some eye drops that should relieve any burning and itching I have in my eyes.

We have rescheduled an appointment at the Cancer Center for Monday, November 2nd. If GVHD does not make a stronger appearance at that point we will then go forward with the DLI. In addition I have a follow-up with the Ophthalmologist on Tuesday, November 2nd.

So it is back to waiting and watching… Saying this, I am feeling great and thrilled to be headed in the right direction. I am so blessed to have such great family and friends who have been so very supportive and who have provided their non-stop prayers for me to get well.

And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”
Matthew 21:22

More to come…

2 comments:

Renata said...

Hi Rich!
I'm keeping you in my thoughts, looking forward to the next update!

Rich Franco said...

Hey Renata,
I’m so excited to be getting close to returning. My problem is that once I get passed one obstacle another one presents. I have a DLI scheduled for Monday. Unfortunately I am running a high fever and it may get delayed again.
Rich