Thursday, January 28, 2016

Go Platelets!

1/28/16 – I continue to be at the John Theurer Cancer Center to treat my ITP and low platelets. My day can include me getting platelets (HLA or cross matched), IVIG, Rituxan, NPlate, etc…

Yesterday was one of those days. The day started with my platelets at 6. I received IVIG, and two bags of HLA platelets. The day ended with my platelets at 58. Woohoo!!!!
The hope now is that they stick.

I will head back to the cancer center on Friday, January 29th for a similar treatment where I will get IVIG, platelets (cross matched) and an NPlate shot.

I would really love to get to the point where we know what is causing ITP in me… what works best in treating it and what’s not working. This of course requires patience on my part being we are going through a process of elimination.

We did find out that my stool sample came back negative for H. pylori. It is clear that it is not the cause of the ITP. In addition I can resume taking Penicillin V potassium, Bactrim and Livalo. They were not found to be a cause either. On top of that I am being weaned off the prednisone being it wasn’t helping with the ITP.

Next week should prove to be very informative. I’ll get my third Rituxan treatment. It seems that with treatment we should be able to tell if the Rituxan is working.

From the perspective of keeping the eye on the Mantle Cell Lymphoma ball, I will have a PET Scan on Friday, February 5th.  This ITP issue has caused a setback but the fight against MCL still needs to be in the forefront. Being in remission and keeping it from coming back is my top priority. I am very much looking forward to be able to begin with the PD-1 (Opdivo) treatments… but I need to be patient.

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil. For the evildoers shall be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land.
Psalm 37:7-9

More to come…

http://mantlecell.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We continue to pray for your recovery. You have been an inspiration to me and my wife. We know the battle with allo is tough. She is now at day+16. Her counts are just starting to recover from bottom. On Monday they plan to release her from the hospital and move her to out patient status with a trip every other day back to the clinic.
I pray that God watches over you and my wife in this battle against MCL.

Rich Franco said...

Hey Charles, Thank you again for your prayers. Day 16... This is a time where patience is very important. Sometimes our bodies recover a little slower than we would like, but know that your wife will be fine. I am sure you are both looking forward to get her home from the hospital. Even with the many trips back to the hospital it is so great to sleep in your own bed. I continue to keep you and your wife in my prayers. Rich