Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Ibrutinib

3/12/13 – When you are diagnosed with something like High Blood Pressure or High Cholesterol, what happens? Typically you will be prescribed a pill that will take care of this condition. It is very likely that the medication you take for this will be something you take for the rest of your life.

Now picture this… You are diagnosed with some type of cancer; let’s say it’s Mantle Cell Lymphoma…  What happens next? You are prescribed a pill that will take care of this condition. It is very likely that the medication you take for this will be something you take for the rest of your LONG life… Now, how cool would that be?

Today I was at the John Theurer Cancer Center a Hackensack University Medical Center to meet with Dr. Goy and to learn about what treatment options were available to me. Our meeting started with Dr. Goy saying; “Had a slight relapse? No big deal”.  He followed with a quick examination, reviewing the reports, dictating into his mini recorder at the speed of light… and yes with his famous French accent. We then had time to chat about the study. Here are some of the study’s highlights:

The title of the study is:
A Phase 2, Multicenter, Single-Arm Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Single-Agent Bruton's Tyrosine Kinase (BTK) Inhibitor, Ibrutinib, in Subjects with Mantle Cell Lymphoma Who Progress after Bortezomib Therapy.

Ibrutinib (PCI-32765) is an experimental drug that is being tested to see if it may be useful in treating relapsed/refractory (where the disease has come back) Mantle Cell Lymphoma (MCL). It is a new drug also known as a ‘Bruton’s Tyrosine Kinase (BTK) inhibitor’. This is an experimental drug that blocks an enzyme that affects how the lymphocytes grow and survive. Blocking this enzyme is a very important mechanism in killing cancer cells. In this study, Ibrutinib is tested to see if it may be useful in subjects with MCL, which has come back after previous treatment, but at the same time, it is being tested in other studies, in other illnesses. 

Early indications show that the Ibrutinib has been very effective with few to no side effects. Other than taking the doses on a consistent schedule each day and having periodic checkups, it certainly seems that people being treated with this drug are seeing awesome results and at the same time are able to live their lives with little to no disruption.

All I could say to that is… WOW! Where do I sign?

As you could imagine, Dr. Goy has had many requests to participate in this study. Knowing this Dr. Goy made sure he reserved me a spot in the study for me. I am so blessed to have a doctor who is truly looking out for me.

So, what’s next? I have to go through a few tests before I begin treatments. Tomorrow I will have a PET Scan and a EKG. On Friday, March 15th I will have a MUGA Scan and a Bone Marrow Biopsy.

Once this is all done I will be ready for Ibrutinib.

Concurrent with the study treatments we will also begin planning for a Stem Cell/Bone Marrow Transplant. Although this is not part of the study, Dr. Goy would like to move in this direction once the Ibrutinib completely annihilates my Mantle Cell Lymphoma. I will be getting a call from the transplant team over the next few days to get a better understanding of this.

After today I am feeling extremely positive and encouraged.  Could Ibrutinib be the drug that simply gets prescribed to us when we are diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma? Will it turn our cancer diagnoses into a non-event? I truly pray that this is the case.
  
"Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you; not as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27 
  

8 comments:

NewEraFineArtMiami said...

God bless you. I just treated Mantel cell lymphoma and got cell transplant 2 months ago, still recovery stage, took 7 months treatment at Detroit Karmanos Cancer Center. They also told me that medication you talking about when it come back but usually they say still 2 more years need for FDA approval, i heard from one of the news is already approved. anyway, good luck to you. Arden

Alan said...

Check out the following, I think Ibrutinib is being fast tracked for MCL.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PCI-32765/322086574489620?fref=ts

Good news Rich - this is a journey we have to take!

Jeff said...

Rich, Thanks for sharing your journey. I am almost one year free and clear of MCL but am a realist about relapse. My doc is cautiously optimistic (sometimes she is cautiously exuberant) about all of the treatment options in the works. I hope whatever they throw at you does the trick and keep on bloggin/!

Rich Franco said...

Arden,

Thank You and best wishes for your health.

From what i heard, Ibrutinib is still not generally available for treatments but it is getting closer.

Thanks again,

Rich

Rich Franco said...

Hi Alan,

As Always... Thanks for everything.

Rich

Rich Franco said...

Hey Jeff,

It is always best to live life like all is good. Certainly life is way too short to waste time worrying. But I will say that it is also great to know that if something was to come up that the tools are in place to deal with it. Medical advances get more amazing each day. Today there is Ibrutinib, tomorrow... who knows.
If you do relapse I am sure there will be a great treatment available that will get you back to full health quickly.

Thank You and be well,

Rich

Unknown said...

Hello everyone and anyone. My father was recently (2 weeks ago) diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma. He is seeing doctors and getting all of his tests done before starting treatment next week (April 30, 2013). I need some help. He has expressed interest in speaking with people who have had this type of cancer and survived it or even still battling it. He is 72 years old and looks 55. Well not now, of course, but still has a lot of life left in him. He is seeing Dr. Goy in NJ. He likes him and keeps a very positive attitude about this upcoming battle. I just want him to get connected with people who have gone through this. If anyone can help please email me at onewayprojects@yahoo.com. My name is Tony. I appreciate any help we can get. Thank you.

Rich Franco said...

Hi Tony,

If I am guessing correctly, I believe that I had a nice conversation with your sister Nicole today. I, most certainly, am willing to speak with your father, you or anyone else in your family about my experience with MCL and Dr. Goy. I will say that, as you may have noticed from this blog, I think the world of Dr. Goy and feel that your dad will be in excellent hands if he decides to have Dr. Goy treat him.

If you want to contact me directly, please feel free to email me at: RichFranco317@gmail.com or call me at 973-222-9250.

I am currently on a business trip but if I am unable to answer I will get back to you ASAP.

After my chat with Nicole, I have already added you dad to my prayer.

God Bless,

Rich