Monday, September 30, 2013

I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

9/30/12 – Today was the 5th Annual Celebrate Life and Liberty event hosted by the John Theurer Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center. It seems that every year this gets bigger. The event is intended to celebrate survivorship and give inspiration and support to those in the cancer community who are still in treatment or recovery as well as all of our care givers who, to say it simply, are blessings from God.

There were 3 featured acts who entertained a crowd of about 5,000. The entertainment was kicked off by Quixotic an ensemble of artists from various disciplines including aerial acrobatics, dance, fashion, film, music and visual f-x. There were followed by The Village People, famous for hits like “YMCA”, “Macho Man” and “In the Navy”. The BIG show ended with Gloria Gaynor who inspired the crowd with her “I Will Survive”.

In addition to the stars, a number of survivors provided entertainment. I was deeply honored to be asked to perform. I, of course, pulled my daughter Alli up on the stage with me. We are by no means professionals but we put our hearts into a song called “Drift Away”. Below is a link to us performing. I hope you enjoy it. We certainly had a blast doing it.

Me introducing "Drift Away"
http://youtu.be/kOdwHVHGr8s

Me and my daughter performing "Drift Away"

In addition, here is a link to The Village People's performance of "YMCA" 

Lastly, here is link to Gloria Gaynor singing "I Will Survive"

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing! Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.
Psalm 100:1-5
I will provide an update once I know more about my transplant
More to come…





No comments: