Friday, September 19, 2008

Cycle A versus cycle B

9/10/08 – 9/18/08

I have discussed me going through two cycles to date and that I will have a total of 6 to 8 cycles. When I had cycle 1, in actuality it was considered cycle "1A". Cycle 2 is considered cycle "1B". When I begin my third cycle it will be "2A". The cycles are as follows:

Cycle 1 = 1A
Cycle 2 = 1B
Cycle 3 = 2A
Cycle 4 = 2B
Cycle 5 = 3A
Cycle 6 = 3B
Cycle 7 = 4A
Cycle 8 = 4B

All the “A” cycles include the same medicines and all the “B’s” are the same as well. I can not have a cycle “A” cycle without a “B” cycle following it. Lastly, “A” and “B” cycles include different mixes of medicines

Why did I just go through this? It seems that my body did a better job managing the chemo after effects of cycle “A” than “B”.

It is 9 days since I am out of the hospital and I am still very tired most of the time, I get sick to my stomach when I eat, my white blood cell count is very low (which means I am very susceptible to infection), and my platelets are so low I required a transfusion. This being my first time with a “B” cycle it is very likely it will go smoother next time. Dr. Goy’s medical team does not seem surprised by “B” hitting me the way it has. Cycle “B” is considered to be harder on the patient than cycle “A”.

The most important point with this is that I knew going into to this that it was not going to be a walk in the park. Chemo Therapy is serious business and will very likely be a rough (but very passable) road.

On the positive side, in about six months this will be over and I have every intention to be back as good as new. Also, I must say that through all this I have not been in any pain. I will not let these small bumps in the road get me down. I will keep positive and at my weakest moments I need to push harder and know that Jesus is carrying me as I go through this.

"Jesus, I believe in you and you will take care of me.

Jesus, I believe in you and you will give me peace"
More to come…

http://mantlecell.blogspot.com/

No comments: