Friday, May 31, 2013

Donor Search - Strike 1

5/31/13 – I have an update to share with you regarding my Bone Marrow/Stem Cell donor search. I have two brothers and they were both tested to see if they were matches with me. Unfortunately neither one is a full match. One on my brothers was a half match and the other did not match at all.  My transplant doctors really want a full match so the next step will be for us to check the donor registry. Of course the good news is that the Ibrutinib is working and that I feel great. Based on this, I do not have a sense of urgency to rush and get the transplant. Maybe my doctors would not agree with this but I am clearly not in a life or death situation.

I think I would be remiss if I didn't say something about all those people who have volunteered to be bone marrow donors. It is an amazingly generous thing to do to help someone who is in need. Please allow me to say THANK YOU to all the members of the Bone Marrow Registry.

Here is a link to an awesome song about generosity. It’s call ‘The Generous Mr. Lovewell” by MercyMe. Enjoy!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCgLiZY5FQ8

Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.
Hebrews 13:16

Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Philippians 2:4

Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”
Luke 6:38

But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him
1 John 3:17

More to come…

2 comments:

Alan said...

Rich, I have four siblings - none were a match. I don't need it at the moment so am not progressing the search, I just wanted to be aware. A lot of donors come out of the German donor system apparently (obviously dependant on ones origins!). I think they must have a semi-obligatory enrolment process.

Rich Franco said...

Hey Alan,
Great to hear from you. Although I am feeling well, it seems my doctors want to push forward with my transplant sooner vs. later. I am personally in no rush. With many donors being from Germany, I wonder if the recipients start craving bratwurst and doppelbock?
Thanks!!!
Rich