Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day +41

1/7/14 – Good news…  my Creatinine level came down a little. It is now 1.7. I did get IV fluids yesterday but I was able to avoid getting a PICC line for now.

At yesterday’s appointment I also learned that I have tested positive for a virus known as CMV. Here is a little info on CMV:
  • Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is one of the herpesviruses. This group of viruses includes the herpes simplex viruses, varicella-zoster virus (which causes chickenpox and shingles), and Epstein-Barr virus (which causes infectious mononucleosis, also known as mono). CMV is a common infection that is usually harmless. Once CMV is in a person's body, it stays there for life. Among every 100 adults in the United States, 50–80 are infected with CMV by the time they are 40 years old. Most healthy children and adults infected with CMV have no symptoms and may not even know that they have been infected. Others may develop a mild illness when they get infected and have the following symptoms: fever, sore throat, fatigue, and swollen glands. But since these are also symptoms of other illnesses, most people don't realize that they have been infected with CMV.

 I have been put on an antibiotic to address this virus.

Another piece of interesting information I learned yesterday is that as of the last test my system is now 53% of the donor’s. This is a sign that my immune system is headed in the right direction.

 My next appointment at the Cancer Center is Thursday, January 9th.

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12

More to come…


4 comments:

cyndi said...

Hi Mick,

I am cleaning up my blog and in the process checking all of my linked blogs.

WOW! I totally missed your transplant but I am so happy that all seems to be coming along as hoped. I am anxious to continue reading your updates now.

I had an auto but I know allo's are much more difficult as far as GVHD. It would be a blessing if God would grant you a pass on GVHD!

I appreciate your journey and in reading the comments, you have encouraged others who have loved ones just beginning the journey. I wish MCL on no one but with today's advances in treatment, MCL is not the death threat it used to be. I am five years CF and my docs said they believe I'm cured. I look forward to being our service to our Lord and Savior in helping others cope with cancer from beginning to post treatment.

Keep looking up! God is wonderful!

Cyndi Heath
The Voice: a Christian cancer blog
http//:www.advocateofhope.wordpress.com

Rich Franco said...

Hey Cyndi,

It’s great to hear from you. So, long story short… I relapsed with MCL early 2013, joined a study with Dr. Goy for Ibrutinib (now called Imbruvica), achieved full remission and had an allo stem cell transplant. I am at day 45 post-transplant and so far all indications are that I am handling it well. I guess my biggest symptom at this point is boredom. I am truly looking to get back to life as usual… if there is such a thing. In all honesty I have been very blessed with how well my transplant has gone so far. I hope all is well with you. Thanks for reaching out to me.

Rich

Anne Fleming said...

I hope they put you on an anti-viral, and not an antibiotic for the CMV. Antibiotics don't work against viruses. Sounds like things are under control pretty much with your transplant. Try not to get too stir crazy!

Rich Franco said...

Hey Anonymous,

I am on a drug called Valcyte which is used to treat CMV.

And yes, I am keeping myself as busy as possible so I don't go stir crazy.

Thanks,

Rich