Thursday, January 16, 2014

Day +50

1/16/14 – Could it be that 50 days have a passed since my stem cell transplant? It sure has.
Here I sit, feeling pretty well, my counts are doing great, my creatinine level is moving in the right direction (last check it was 1.5) and the counts for virus known as CMV is also improving. On top of that I have had no evidence of any graft versus host disease.  At this point I must say things are looking pretty good for me. In speaking with my doctors and nurses, the main concern I face is germs, bacteria and sick people in general. Based on this I still need to be very careful. I have come so far that it would make no sense to risk venturing out and exposing me to these things that could bring me harm.

There is the 100 day mark, which is often referred to as being a huge milestone for stem cell transplant patients, where I can start pulling back on some of my self-imposed limitations. In speaking to my doctors they feel that at that time we could start to consider when I can begin resuming some of my life… like working, going to church, eating out at restaurants, hanging out with friends… but I do not want to get ahead of myself being I still have 50 days to go and who knows what I may encounter between now and then?
I won’t lie to you; I am getting a little antsy and would love to get back to life as usual… if there really is such a thing. I know that I must be patient at this time so in the meantime I will read, play my guitar, watch movies, blog, communicate with friends and, most importantly, avoid getting sick over the next 50 days.

My next appointment at the Cancer Center is Tuesday, January 21st.

so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light.
Colossians 1:10-12

More to come…


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing........ Congrats on your significant progress!

Gina Blakeslee

Rich Franco said...

Hey Gina,

It is always great to hear from you. I hope all is well with you.

Thanks!

Rich