Thursday, January 23, 2014

Day +57

1/23/14 – I had my normal visit on Tuesday, January 21 and all my counts were looking good except that my immune system was a little low. We have these things called “GA” levels and apparently mine are lower than they should be. To address this on my next appointment on Tuesday, January 28th I will receive an IVIG infusion. I had this once before back in 2010. It is a blood infusion that gives a boost to the immune system. Here are some details about an IVIG:
  • Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) is a blood product administered intravenously. It contains the pooled IgG (immunoglobulin (antibody) G) extracted from the plasma of over one thousand blood donors. IVIG's effects last between 2 weeks and 3 months. It is mainly used as treatment in three major categories:
    • Immune deficiencies such as X-linked agammaglobulinemia, hypogammaglobulinemia (primary immune deficiencies), and acquired compromised immunity conditions (secondary immune deficiencies) featuring low antibody levels.
    • Inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.
    • Acute infections.
Last time I had this I only needed to be infused once to get things back to normal. I guess time will tell if that will be all I need this time.

Even with the need for the IVIG, I am feeling good.

My next appointment at the Cancer Center is Tuesday, January 28st.

In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8

More to come…


No comments: