Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Don’t Know Where I Pick Up These Things

01/19/09 – I received a call from the Cancer Center that they needed to see me today regarding my most recent infection. It seems that they have fully identified this mystery bacteria and need to alter my antibiotics. The bacteria is Microbacterium Fortuitum Complex. It is very rare. Dr. Sebti, who is one of the primary doctors of the Center for Infectious Deceases in Hackensack University Medical Center, said that this is a bacteria that they see only about once every two years. Again, it is very rare and they have no idea on how I ended up with it (if I only had this kind of luck with the Lottery). He did say that if I was not a chemo patient that they would be very concerned, but being that I am, my immune system is subject to pick up just about anything. The good news is that I am not running any fevers and this will not be a cause for delaying my next, hopefully last, chemo treatment.

The other thing I learned yesterday was that my platelets are now up to 79. Only a couple of days ago they were 55, so they are climbing towards the 100 number I need to start chemo. Hopefully I will be able to start chemo sometime this week.

More to come…


http://mantlecell.blogspot.com/

No comments: