Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Follow Up Appointment with Dr. Goy

8/11/08 -- I must admit that today I was a bit exhausted. I did bike a little but not the 20 minute sessions 3 times per day I was doing in the hospital. I guess when I am tired I should rest. I will ask Dr. Goy about this when I see him.

8/12/08 - I went to Hackensack University Medical Center for a follow up appointment with Dr. Goy. He said that I am doing great and that my counts could not be any better. He was very up beat and finally addressed my long term prognosis question. "You just completed your first cycle and I said you are doing great... isn't that good enough?" Dr Goy is always one to give a tap on the shoulder, a knee in the leg, a small hug and even a small BOP on the head. All in keeping his patients as positive as possible. He does feel very confident that he can handle anything that comes our way. I also sense that he does not want me spending my energy thinking about anything but one day at a time.

In addition Dr. Goy addressed me feeling tired. He said that when I feel tired that I should push even harder to work out. That is how my body will best combat everything that is going on in me. With today being a bad sinus day I also learned of Dr. Goy's theory on dealing with sinus pain. He said "do you swim? Swimming and water are the best relief for sinuses". He suggested that I go for a swim when I get home.

I met another fellow Mantle Cell Study patient today. He is a 67 old man and he has completed all his treatments. He looked GREAT! He an his wife went dancing last night and plan to do so again tonight. It was great to see such a happy couple. True evidence of the light at the end of the tunnel.

I had some more good news today. I had originally been scheduled to be in the hospital for my next treatments on 8/30 but Dr. Goy gave me the OK to bring my daughter Jill to college on that day. He said it is OK for me to delay my treatments a few days.

Lastly, today was the first day I would start getting my Neupogen shots. These are shots that I need to get for 10 days after chemo. The interesting thing is that my wife Sue has to give them to me at home. Now this for sure was an adventure! Actually once we figured it out, with help of my daughter Jill, it was fine. We should be pros at this in no time.

My next appointment with Dr. Goy is 8/15 where I will be getting an out patient chemo push.

More to come...


http://mantlecell.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

wendym37 said...

Rich, Just a note to let you know that we're thinking of you, Sue, Jill and Allie. We know that you're probably being inundated with visitors and calls. We will wait to get in touch with you. Love and prayers, Wendy, Anthony, Jess and Kate :)