Sunday, August 10, 2008

My 1st Treatment

8/5/08 - I checked into Hackensack University Medical Center with out any issues. I was started on my pretreatment drugs right away and soon was receiving my first dose of a chemo. I was told that there was an 85% chance I would get nauseous but I did not and I made it through the day without getting sick.

The nurses are all great and the food was much better than I would have ever expected. It is much like ordering room services from a menu.

8/6/08 - The day started with a sample of blood being taken at 3:30AM. The nurse reiterated how well I did the day before. I will now be getting a different chemo medicine that will be given every 6 hours for the next 3 days.

Dr. Goy and the research nurse Judy stopped by to see how well I have been doing. Judy stops by everyday to check on me. Judy is a wonderful person and a great source of support to both me and my family.

Dr. Goy wants his patients to be as active as possible. He says that in real-estate it's "location, location, location" but here it is "move, move, move". He started me on a stationary bike that I would go on for 20 minutes, 3 times per day. I averaged about 6.5 miles of biking per 20 minutes. I may have been over doing it a bit but so far I feel pretty well and I can do it. I am told that once the chemo starts to kick in more I will likely slow down a bit. Only time will tell with this and I hope to be able to continue being as active as possible. Maybe the stronger I get now the stronger I will stay over time. I am no doctor but this seems to make sense.

Another thing that seems real important is my mouth maintenance. Chemo treatments targets the body's cells that are most active (both good and bad). This includes the month stomach and hair (this is why most people lose their hair). As it kills the good cells in my mouth it open me up to mouth infections that could cause painful sores. Keeping my mouth maintenance up will be a vital part of daily process.

8/7/08 - They took my blood about 4:00 AM. I worked out on the bike another 3 times. I would also receive two more does of the chemo (every 12 hours).

Today I met two other patients in the same clinical study. I think we will become good friends. One was in his last treatment cycle and he seems to be doing well. The other was in cycle 3 and was a very upbeat person.

I met with Judy again. She said all my counts are doing well but I should see a decline in my white blood counts over the next few days.

8/8/08 - They took my blood about 4:00 AM again. I also worked out on the bike 3 times. Received the last two every 12 hour treatments.

8/9/08 - They took my blood at 5:00 AM. Today I will receive 3 different chemo treatments and then I can go home. I again can not say enough how great everyone on the hospital staff has been to me.

All went well today and I was released on schedule. It is great to be home but I know this is just the beginning of a long journey and I need to take this a day at a time.

8/10/08 - I went to church today at St. Francis de Sales. I was good to get out and great to see everyone but I must admit that I am beginning to get tired. I will relax the rest of today and see what tomorrow has in store for me.

Over this week I have had many guests and well wishes from many of my family and friends. Even with the seriousness of my disease I can not help but feel how lucky I am.


http://mantlecell.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

stacey stokes said...

qpqppmsHi Rich;

I just got back from visiting my parents in cape may. I was wondering how you were doing. I'm glad you're feeling well inspite of your treatments. it must be good to be home. my family and I will continue to keep you in our prayers.

we send our love and support to you and your family.

Stacey