Friday, August 1, 2008

Dual Port Surgically Installed

8/1/08 - I had my dual porta cath surgically installed today by Dr. Kline. It is directly below by right collar bone. The surgery only took about 40 minutes. My right shoulder area hurts a bit and I have been given pain killers just in case I need them. I will take one to help me sleep but I doubt I will need any tomorrow. This will be where I will receive my chemo treatments through. It will definitely make life much easier on my veins.

This is me venting: I am finding that reading articles on the Internet could be more discouraging than anything. Last night I read that the average life span of someone diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma is 3 to 5 years. I am sure Dr. Goy would debate this claim being the whole point of the clinical trial I am in is to validate a method to obtain a long term remission. Also, each time I visit Dr. Goy I run into people who are in remission for an extended period of time. Maybe I am drinking from the "Keep Positive Kool-Aid" a little too much but maybe I am not. I certainly plan on having a conversation with Dr. Goy on what he feels my true prognosis is. I do know that when we get news that is not so good and my wife's eyes tear up, Dr. Goy says: "what are you upset about, this is all very treatable". There is no doubt that this is all in God's hands but there is no way I can except this 3 to 5 year message of doom.

On Tuesday, August 5th I will begin my treatments.

More to come...

http://mantlecell.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your music now serves as a gift to yourself. For years it has been a gift to others. Remember the "A;; Elf Band?" The kids from that year od CCD still talk about it.

Rock on! We continue to pray faithfully and aggressively.