Sunday, December 1, 2013

Bubble Boy

12/1/13 – How often after hearing: “your white blood cell count is zero” would you respond with a “GREAT!” Yesterday when I me t with my doctors I was told that all my number are where they are expected to be. My WBC counts have hit zero, and as strange as that may sound, it is where they should be at this point. With today being day 4 after my transplant, it could take another 10 days or so for my counts to begin to rise.

I must stay diligent on keeping the process moving in the right direction through daily exercising, eating well, performing mouth care, breathing exercises and being upbeat and positive. I am pretty good at the being upbeat and positive part. With another couple of week in the hospital I will be trying to make all the other things part of my daily routine.

Of course the 800 pound gorilla in the room is the risk of infection. We just need to be smart with this. I can’t take any unnecessary risks and certainly friends and family will need to keep away from me for a while. My wife, Sue, always refers to this as keeping me in a bubble. So I guess I will be Bubble Boy for now.

For thou hast been a shelter for me, [and] a strong tower from the enemy.
More to come…


2 comments:

Alan said...

Rich, I'm following your journey and wish you well (in all respects)- please be assured I won't come to visit you!!

Regards
Alan (Brisbane!!)

Rich Franco said...

Hey Alan,

Thanks!!!! You never know, maybe someday we will meet on a river or bay... in a kayak or canoe.

Rich