Monday, December 30, 2013

Day +33

12/30/13 – Can you believe that I am 1/3 of the way to the 100 day milestone? You may be thinking... so what's the big deal about “Day 100?” Day 100 is a milestone that many stem cell transplant recipients circle boldly on their calendars as the turning point in their recovery. That’s when the greatest risk for critical side effects is past and when the stem cells have en-grafted and begun making new blood cells. It is also important because it is a time when my doctors can begin to run test to see where I stand with my MCL. The 100 day mark is by no means the end all, be all… I will be continued to be checked and treated for years to come. More specifically, by the end of the first year, my immune system should return to normal and my body should begin to produce blood cells normally again. About 1–2 years after my stem cell transplant, I will likely need to be immunized with vaccines that are commonly given in childhood (such as polio and measles vaccines).

Another “important” aspect of hitting the 100 day milestone is that it could mean that I will be allowed to venture out, see people, go to church, and possibly even get to eat at restaurants.

But, I guess I shouldn’t get too far ahead of myself. So, you may be wondering how I am doing now? My last two appointments showed that my counts are still on track and even have climbed into normal ranges. The one area that was not so great was my Creatinine level which is running high. This typically means that I am not getting enough fluids which can have an adverse effect on my kidneys. I had to receive fluids by IV at my last appointment. My take away from this is that I need to drink more liquids. I was told to try and drink 3 liters of water per day. I think I have been doing this and I am looking forward to see my results at my next appointment.

With just typical things, my energy seems a little lower than usual and I am still struggling with my appetite and a slight case of nausea. I definitely eat for fuel versus enjoyment. Since the transplant I have lost about 25 pounds. The good news is this seems to be stabilizing and I have been at the same weight for the last few days. I am sure I’ll get passed this soon. After all, food is way too good to miss out on for too long.

Overall, I feel great and I am excited about my awesome progress.

My next appointment at the Cancer Center is Tuesday, December 31th.

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

More to come…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Rich!!!

Rich Franco said...

Thanks Pedro! A Happy, Healthy New Year to you too.

Rich