Saturday, November 23, 2013

T Minus 3 Days Til' Transplant

11/23/13 – Yesterday went great. I actually got to play my guitar, walked about 2 miles around the nurses station (22 laps makes a mile). I really haven’t had any effects from the last couple days of chemo. I had visitors of my wife, Sue and daughter, Alli. Today they will be back and also my other daughter Jill will be joining us.

The plan for the day is to get my doses of Fludarabine and Cyclophosphamide. In addition I will also get ATG. Tomorrow I will get another dose of ATG and start with Tacrolimus.

WOW these are some big words. Let me help by giving some brief descriptions.

  • ATG is an infusion of horse or rabbit-derived antibodies against human T cells, which is used in the Gee I wonder prevention and treatment of acute rejection in organ transplantation and therapy of aplastic anemia. Gee, I wonder if I am going to start craving raw carrots.
  • Cyclophosphamide is a drug that is used primarily for treating several types of cancer. In order to work, cyclophosphamide first is converted by the liver into two chemicals, acrolein and phosphoramide. Acrolein and phosphoramide are the active compounds, and they slow the growth of cancer cells by interfering with the actions of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) within the cancerous cells. In addition to slowing the growth of cancerous cells, cyclophosphamide also suppresses the immune system and is referred to as immunosuppressive.
  • Fludarabine or fludarabine phosphate (Fludara) is a chemotherapy drug used in the treatment of hematological malignancies (cancers of blood cells such as leukemias and lymphomas). It is a purine analog, which interferes with DNA synthesis.
  • Methotrexate, abbreviated MTX and formerly known as amethopterin, is an antimetabolite and antifolate drug. It is used in treatment of cancer, autoimmune diseases, ectopic pregnancy, and for the induction of medical abortions. It acts by inhibiting the metabolism of folic acid. I will start taking this after the transplant.
  • Rituximab (trade names Rituxan and MabThera) is a chimeric monoclonal antibody against the protein CD20, which is primarily found on the surface of immune system B cells. Rituximab destroys B cells and is therefore used to treat diseases which are characterized by excessive numbers of B cells, overactive B cells, or dysfunctional B cells. This includes many lymphomas, leukemia, transplant rejection, and autoimmune disorders.
  • Tacrolimus is an immunosuppressive drug that is mainly used with allogeneic transplants to reduce the activity of the patient's immune system and so lower the risk of rejection. 

 I just have to thank God every day for all the blessings in my life, my wonderful loving wife, the best daughters any one could wish for and so many great family and friends.

And I guess I need to thanks our animal friends, after all some rabbit or horse has “donated” the key components for the ATG I will get today.

And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rich,

Glad you face it all with a healthy dose of humor. (Carrot cravings?) Thanks for the explanations of the meds- I would have had to look all of them up otherwise! (Yes, I really do that.) Keep writing. I'll keep reading. - Cathlyn**

Anonymous said...

Hi Rich,

I have been following your posts for awhile now. I am an MCL survivor. I live in Hunterdon Cty, NJ. Was Dx 1/5/2102. 4 rounds R-hyper-Cvad, BEAM,. Auto SCT, RWJ (Roger Strair). I want to offer my support to you. I want you to know I feel perfectly normal. I know you are facing an Allo and I was auto, but you still need to know it passes. You will be normal again. I am a successful social worker, under contract to Rutgers. Hubby and 20 year old daughter at Muhlenberg College. Let me know what I can do to help you and your family. Home phone number 908-638-0001. Eat now! You will refuse food shortly. I am a fatty and lost 60 pounds. They are coming back now! Best,

Gina Blakeslee

Rich Franco said...

Thank you so much Cathlyn.

Rich

Rich Franco said...

Hey Gina, It makes me very happy to hear that you are feeling perfectly normal after your auto. That is fantastic news.
Thank you so much for keeping up with me and your very generous offer of your support. I will certainly not hesitate to contact you when things start to go crazy for me.

Thank you again, this is very kind of you.

Rich

Anonymous said...

Rich,

Call anytime.....day or night. Just an FYI: You are a hero for me and many others. Your willingness to take part in two clinical trials may eventually help to prolong my life or even save it. I am full of gratitude.

Have fun lapping around that nurse's station!

Gina

Mick said...

Hi Rich. So glad your doing so well.You have a great attitude and I am sure that you are a great inspiration to others who are going through or facing a Transplant. Stay Strong. Mick and Kathy






Dan Poynter said...

New Book:
TRANSPLANT HANDBOOK FOR PATIENTS: Replacing Stem Cells in Your Bone Marrow.
By a 75-year old author, in Day +117 since his transplant, who is setting records for recovery.
Know someone with a blood disorder or cancer? Help the patient, caregiver, and significant other to understand the journey.
http://TransplantHandbook.com

Rich Franco said...

Gina, I am so humbled by your very kind words. I really do not see myself as a hero. I am more of a person who is simply playing the hand that has been dealt me in the most positive way I can. I started very early after my diagnosis sharing my blog to help friends and family keep up with what is going on with me. This was a wonderful way to keep everyone from bombarding my wife with questions. The blog kind of morphed into something bigger to where I am in contact with people from all over the world. I have no problem making my life an open book, especially if it can help others.
Yes, I have have a willingness to jump into studies, but much of it is because I have such a high level of trust in my doctors. Throughout the studies I am more than happy to share my experiences.

“The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.”
Matthew Chapter 25:40

I look to chat with you soon.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich Franco said...

Mick and Kathy, Thank you so much for all your kind words. Also, being strong for my family and friends is very important. It seems it is easier to be the person going through this then the person watching their loved one go though it. My attitude strongly impacts their.

Thanks again,

Rich

Rich Franco said...

Hey Dan,

This is a great book. I have read it and recommend it to anyone who will be going through a transplant (patients and caretakers).

Thanks!

Rich