Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Transplant Day – Take 2

11/27/13 – One of the nurses came into my room early to wish me an early “Happy Birthday”. I said “Happy Birthday?” and she responded sure, today is your Transplant Day and many patients use it as their new birthday.

As cool as that sounds, I love my birthday. I was born on March 17th which is St. Patrick’s Day. That is one on the best party days of the year. There is no way I am giving up that day….. BUT, I am completely cool with adding another celebration day to my calendar. My family and I actually celebrate the day I was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma. We wanted to turn something bad into something great so we always do something special on that day.

So, you bet I will add today as a new day to celebrate because I truly understand the reason why one would use their transplant date as a birthday. It is all about renewing life, giving someone like me another chance to live a full, healthy life. The awesome people who are willing to donate their bone marrow/stem cells are certainly people of great compassion, charity and kindness. I cannot thank my donor enough for his willingness to help someone he does not know. Maybe someday I will be able to thank him personally.

Every day is a gift and should be celebrated.

“Clap your hands, all peoples! Shout to God with loud songs of joy!”
Psalms 47:1 

More to come…


No comments: