Thursday, November 21, 2013

T Minus 5 Days Til' Transplant

11/21/13 - Yesterday I had my triple lumen installed. It was a very quick procedure that left me with 3 tubes sticking out of my right shoulder. After a few hours I already forgot it was there. This should go a long way in saving my veins while I am in the hospital.

Speaking of the hospital, I get admitted today. I just have to wait for the hospital to contact me that they have a bed available for me. I will start chemo today when I get to the hospital

In a strange kind of way my biggest concern is keeping myself from being bored for the time (about a month) I am in the hospital. I am very confident that all the medical stuff will go great with the wonderful team of doctors I have. To keep myself occupied I will bring a computer and ipad and I am still debating with myself on if I should bring my travel guitar with me. I do remember from when I went through chemo last time (in 2008) that playing the guitar kept my fingers from experiencing neuropathy. This may be a medical study I need to pursue in the future.  

Similar to last time, I have been asked to bring workout cloths. Keeping me active during my stay in the hospital is considered a critical part of getting me on the path to good health.

So I guess my new journey really starts today. I am feeling very positive and exciting that this will lead me to getting my life back.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Jeremiah 29:11

2 comments:

Mick said...

Hi Rich. I want to wish you the best of luck. I think I told you that I had R Chop and an autologous stem cell transplant. I am in a clinical trial at The City of Hope in Ca.for two years using Valcade and Rituxan. I know a little about what your facing from my stem cell transplant experience. I realize what your about to go through is much tougher. We will pray for you. Part of my S.C. plan was one day at a time and if need be one hour at a time. This worked for me. Best of Luck. Mick and Kathy

Rich Franco said...

Hey Mick and Kathy, Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I do know that I have a journey ahead of me with my Allo transplant. I have myself in a place where I am excited to get the process moving, I have a positive attitude due to the trust I have with my doctors and I am confident because I know that Jesus has my back.
Thanks again,
Rich